Monday, March 15, 2010

Things to think about

I called Dr. Duda to let him know that the QVAR seems to be working pretty well. He called back and wants us to come in on Thursday afternoon. I'll be sure to ask about peak flows at that time. She's 6 now, and has pretty good spirometry technique, so I think she'll be able to handle it. Just one more tool in my back pocket, is my theory.

If only I really knew what was going on with her. She's "off." She's sleeping a LOT more...she's cranky...she just isn't "right." I'm not sure where to go with it, since she has no real pulmonary symptoms and no real gastro symptoms. I don't know what to do, and I don't like not knowing what to do.

Maybe Dr. Duda will order a chest X-ray...she's about due for one anyway. Hopefully, then I'll know if she's good and clear or not...then we'll know what to do with that information.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Just read this post and the last one--she'll probably do a great job with a peak flow meter.

Kyra got hers when she was 5, same age when we switched over to an inhaler/spacer combo. She had no problems at all.

I can't remember if she got it from the ped pulmo or the pediatrician, but they gave us a mini-training session and made sure she could use it properly before letting us take it home.

One thing to remember--as kids grow, the numbers for their green/yellow/red zones need updated. You may not need this reminder, but I spent about 6 months monitoring Kyra's health based on old numbers when she was around 8! Apparently, no matter how many years I do this, I'm going to keep screwing up. :-)

Sara C. said...

She uses the inhaler/spacer...though I like the neb for when she is coughing uncontrollably and is sleeping...how she can sleep through it is beyond me...but she does...and if we're home...using the neb basically requires her to STOP and sit for 15 minutes.

Mariella's pediatrician is basically useless for anything pulmonary. Our pedi pulmo is sooo fabulous, I'm sure the RT will give us a training on a peak flow meter if Dr. D decides we need it.

Thanks. It always helps to have someone else's opinion on stuff. I feel like I'm playing a game with the wrong set of rules half the time.