This year, because she's been at school all day for the year now, she was much more willing to spend all day at camp. She came home excited and happy every day. She didn't ask to stay home at all. In fact, this morning, Abby woke up not feeling well, and asked to stay home. Since she loves camp so much, I knew she wasn't faking anything. Especially when she asked if she could watch TV, and I said, "no, if you're too sick to go to camp, you need to be in bed for a while." Her response was, "ok, can I read?" I was SURE that I would tell Mariella that Abby wasn't going to camp and I would hear, "I'm too sick to go to camp too." I DID hear "My belly feels pukey" but her Prevacid and a Baby Tums fixed that. She had a good day at camp and barely noticed that Abby wasn't there. As she walked out, she said, "can we sign up for next year NOW?" I really wish we could afford another session for her, but it's just not in the budget or the schedule.
On Sunday, we bring Abby to overnight camp for the first time. She's spent time away from us many times. They spend a week with my parents every year, so I'm used to her being away from home. I'm NOT used to her being away from home, and not with family. Camp is run by our church denomination. She is doing the "sampler." It will give her a small taste of everything that camp has to offer. She has already decided that she is going to love it. (I'm sure shes' right) She is also already making plans to go next year. I think the only thing she's worried about is whether or not she's going to like the food. One of our friends has gone to this camp since he was a kid, and he now goes back to run one of the sessions. He is a foodie, and has nothing but rave reviews for the camp cook, so I'm sure it will be great. Abby is actually quite disappointed that Brian won't be at camp the same time as she is, but she'll deal.
We're going to have to come up with some fun things to do with Mariella while her sister is gone. They adore each other, and really do enjoy each others company. They get into little tiffs once in a while, but nothing like I hear other parents complain about. Typically, it's just Mariella whining about some imagined slight...and once she's told to "buck up" it's over. I don't know what she's going to do with herself without her sister around.
I'm looking forward to a little relaxing. Get up when we want to, get dressed when we want to. That will be nice.
2 comments:
Hi!
I just found your blog and intend to follow it. I saw that Mariella's doctors think she might have something like asthma but also like CF. I have a rare trachea issue myself, but when I was trying to figure out what else I could have besides asthma one of my doctor friends mentioned something called Primary Cilliary Diskenesia. It's hereditary too, and is treated similarly to CF. You might want to look into it and see if it looks like your daughter...I hope not...but I do believe that knowing what you have leads to better treatment and outcomes! Best of Luck!
Thank you so much for leaving a note. Welcome to my little corner of the blogosphere. I think PCD was on the table for a while, but she's not a chronic ear infection sufferer, she's only had one in her entire life, and she doesn't have any sinus involvement at all. I might ask about it again, though.
As for knowing what is going on leads to better treatment...I very often feel like a horrible mother, because people will say "I hope this latest round of tests don't show anything" and I want it to...I WANT to know what we're dealing with. Not knowing is sometimes scarier than knowing.
Thanks again, and welcome.
Post a Comment