Wednesday, May 12, 2010

We're beginning to look like a doctor's office around here

We have nebulizers, and airway clearance devices and now we have a pulse oximeter.

The RT came to do the training today. I didn't think it was all that hard, but I'm sure in order for insurance to cover it, they needed to do the in-home training.

We plugged it in, and tested it out on me. I'm satting at about 96%. Not great, but it doesn't set the alarm off. I used my inhaler as soon as we were done with the training. The other funny thing is that my resting heart rate is about 54. The alarm goes off at 59...I'm not sure what the top level is...I have a hard time getting my heart rate up when I'm working out, even.

Mariella is kind of excited that it's coming today. She asked me why I wasn't working this morning, and I told her it was because I had to be here when her pulse oximeter came. I'm sure she's going to want to try it as soon as she gets home.

It just occurred to me, traveling with all this equipment is going to be a PITA. I wonder if carry on restrictions are different if you are transporting medical equipment? I guess I'll have to call the airline and find out. The pulse oximeter isn't huge, and the PARI is small and compact...I guess I'll have to get a bag that will hold them both...that and my laptop are my items, I guess.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Do you mean, are you allotted more carry-on space if you're bringing medical equipment? That's an interesting question, actually--I'm curious to see the answer.

Sara C. said...

yeah...I mean I guess I COULD pack the pulse oximeter in the checked luggage, but I'm always more comfortable keeping stuff like that WITH me. I think that will be one of my jobs this week...calling the airline and checking.

kerri said...

I'm not sure if medical stuff counts in your carry on allotment, but let us know when you find out

I definitely worked really hard to squish my backpack under the seat when I was flying to Orlando--no neb, but meds, laptop, two iPods, video camera, charging cables, notebook, books I didn't read . . . and my mom had a textbook I needed, poor lady lol. [I am like small child, I require a LOT of stuff in my carry on bag. Except I don't need it fully for entertainment, I need it because I'm paranoid of it getting lost].

Sarah said...

Yeah, definitely let us know! I take an air flight at the end of the month, and thanks to new regulations here, I have to go and fill out a "fit for travel" form (which I guess makes sense - the airline needs to know what the chances are that they'll have to divert a given flight for a medical emergency landing), but I haven't been able to find anything about whether or not medications are covered in carryon... I hope they are, because there's no way my Advair, Alvesco, Singulair, Ventolin, etc (I think I'm on eight or nine different meds right now...) is going in my luggage: I'll be travelling with ~$800 in meds, at least.

Also, speaking from experience, never, ever ever pack any kind of fragile equipment in checked luggage if you can avoid it. It will get broken or damaged or something. I've seen them manage somehow penetrate two layers of metal case and foam, which were packed inside a bag lined with other stuff, to stab through and damage an expensive ($3500) piece of equipment I was travelling with. They did eventually pay for the damages since there's really no way that could be ascribed to "normal wear and tear" like they were trying to, but I had to fight them for a few months about it. If that was an isolated incident, I might be willing to figure that it was one of those never-could-have-predicted-it things, but I've had stuff like that happen too many times to be willing to assume that it's "just one of those things".

Sara C. said...

Sarah, I KNOW that medications are not counted in your "3 oz of liquid or gel" what I'm not sure of is whether I'll have to figure out how to get the neb and pulse oximeter and my laptop, and any other stuff I want to bring into "one bag and one personal item" Though, between the 4 of us traveling, we SHOULD be ok...even if they DO. (I also carry inhalers and nebules of medication etc.) We don't have our tickets yet, which makes it hard to call...but I'm kind of banking on Southwest, so I don't have to pay to check my luggage