Sunday, May 16, 2010

Great Strides!!!

The girls and I walked for the Great Strides walk today. There is a 3 mile option and a 6 mile option. We did the 3 mile option.

Abby walked the entire way without complaint...I was super proud of her. Mariella walked at least 3/4 of the walk on her own. There were 2 HUGE hills that I carried her up...and one of our friends and I stopped off to get iced coffees for the group, and Mariella stayed with us...so to catch up to the group...Jeff gave her a little lift...but just because she has short legs, so she doesn't move as fast.

By the end of the three miles, Mariella was starting to need to take breaths between words again (it's not all the time, I've noticed...most of the time, she DOESN'T do it. ) She was afraid we weren't going to walk if she was having trouble...so she kept telling me she was fine.

We got to the picnic at the end, and she was huffing a little bit...but it wasn't until she started coughing that she realized that she needed her rescue. She started out asking for her puffer, then thought about it and said..."nope, I need my neb...you brought it, right?" Of course, I had...so she was good in a couple of minutes. Yet again...THANK YOU, Pari Trek. Her Xop MDI would have helped too, but she would have needed a treatment when we got home...or another couple puffs of the MDI, since we didn't go right home.

I didn't hear the how much was raised today...I raised over my goal (though I did aim low) I'm proud of how I did.

Right now, Mariella is hanging out on the couch, I'll be surprised it she makes it past 7. Abby's in the shower....she's beat too, but she wants to wait up for daddy to come home from his weekend away.

5 comments:

kerri said...

Woohoo!!
Y'all did a great job!!! I'm proud of all of you! 3 miles is almost 5km--even with healthy lungs I wouldn't have been able to do as long as M did at her age (of course I did have mildly messed up legs to deal with, but whatever). YAY!

Did ya take pics? Will I see some GS facebookage? :-)

Sara C. said...

I didn't bring my camera...I'm so bad!

Sarah said...

Awesome! Go Abbey and Mariella! :D

Sounds like you all had a lot of fun.

Amy said...

Yeah, fantastic! Kudos to you and your family and I'm awfully impressed by Mariella's recognizing she needed her nebulizer instead of her inhaler, at her age. What a great kid.

Sara C. said...

I heard a total at the time of walk being $27,000, but that doesn't take into account the money raised the night before on the website, or any monies donated after the walk. This is one of the smaller walks...apparently, this year was the largest turnout they've ever had.